Monday, February 15, 2016

Simply Life, Yuen Long



Another weekend…another taste test of a restaurant over at Yoho Mall in Yuen Long.  Today's blog post is all about Simply Life, which I've been to a few times in Kowloon Tong's Festival Walk Mall.  We decided to head over to Simply Life for lunch.  It's actually one of the more popular places to eat.  Everytime I pass it there are people in most of the seats.  I knew that the experience was going to be quite satisfying…and who doesn't want to feel like lunch isn't satisfying?


Simply Life is located right next to Applegreen.

The awesome something about the Yoho Mall Simply Life is that you can opt to sit out on the veranda.   And it truly is outdoors, which is something I TRULY APPRECIATE ABOUT restaurants!  It's lovely to be able to sit outdoors on days when the weather is lovely.  It makes the weekend feel more like the weekend…it makes life just more enjoyable.  Plus, it wasn't too sunny or too cold today, so we sat on the deck.

We both ordered off of the brunch menu, which was set at $118 HKD for a salad/soup, main, and a tea/coffee.

I like when menus are condensed to a few really awesome options.  Though…there are quite a bit of options, it's nice when they are just organized into a set.


I got the salad of the day, which was a garden salad with a grapefruit on top.  I also got a side of bread. Both were delicious.  The salad was refreshing, light, and small enough to not make me feel overly full.  The bread was lovely!  I think they make their own breads at the restaurant…because they do have a bread bar that we passed to get out onto the deck.  But, the crust was lovely and hard…while the inside was nice and doughy.  I really loved it.


My husband got the soup of the day, which was pumpkin and a side of bread as well.  This was quite a nice combination…now that I think about it.  The bread was perfect for dunking into the soup…which I only know because I had a little taste of it before he started eating.  The pumpkin soup was really nice.  It wasn't too hot and it wasn't too warm…it had a great flavor and tasted quite fresh.  It was really good.



For the main dishes, I got the fish fillet burger with a side of fries.  It also came with a roasted tomato and pickle as garnish, which made me think of how I used to order pickles on the side with my hot dogs at baseball games.  But, the bun was what I was actually curious about.  I had seen ads for Burger King and McDonalds…when they were offering their black bun burgers.  I think the color of the bun came from squid ink.  I'm not totally sure, but it didn't taste much different from any other bun.  I just really loved the look it of.

The burger was really good though.  The tartar sauce and fish fillet were really good…healthy-tasting even!


We also got a beef burger with guacamole.  This was really nice!  I loved the actual burger bit.  It tasted really fresh…if that could be a thing.  The guacamole was a nice touch as well.  And the cheese that was oozing out all over the burger was really nice.  I'm glad that I got to taste test this before my husband devoured it as well.

It's actually been quite awhile since we'd both had burgers.  It was nice to have them for lunch today!



For drinks, I got the iced tea, which came with orange slices.  This was totally refreshing.  Usually people add lemons to their iced tea…but this makes me want to try some iced tea with orange wedges at home.  It's a nice change of pace.


My husband said the coffee was light and pretty nice.

Funny story about the coffee…the waiter was slowly inching his way over to our table with our drinks in his hand.  When he finally got to the table he said, "I'm sorry.  I'm testing my stability."  I didn't get what he meant…unit lI looked at the coffee saucer and there were dribbles and puddles of coffee all over it.  

I liked that guy's commentary.  It made me really appreciate the great service that we got from everyone that we encountered at the restaurant.  They totally hired some really great people at the Yoho Mall Simply Life.



We got a corner seat, which was really nice.  Here was the view behind me.  I love the greenery.  I really love the environment that Yoho Mall has around the outside.


This was such a great lunch.  This is the third place we've tried at Yoho Mall and I'm totally invested in going here whenever I feel like eating out.  Again…I'm feeling quite grateful that this place opened up in Yuen Long!