Monday, January 4, 2016

Jumping Gym, Hung Hom

I was reminiscing about my childhood days...spending time at the arcades.  Back when my folks would go bowling…my sister and I would have a go playing Pac Man.  I remember one of my favorite arcade games was a Simpson's game…where we would be skateboarding and dodging obstacles.  My memory is a bit foggy on all that detail, but I remember it was fun.

Back in high school, when I moved to Seattle, the biggest thing to do with friends was to head over to Gameworks.  I remember thinking was like the upgraded version of Chucky Cheese or even the Fun Factory (which I think might only be a Honolulu thing).  If it is still there…that would be a miracle.

All this reminiscing made me want to head out down to Hung Hom's Jumping Gym and dive into one of Hong Kong's indoor amusement parks.  It's actually a place for kids, but there are a lot of adults passing the time there as well:  people going on dates, senior citizens trying to win at those coin drop games, and people who just want to pass the time.  



It's easy to find, once you enter Treasure World (which has a Toys R Us too!)…


The Jumping Gym that we went to, which I have been to a few times because I used to live in Hung Hom is located in the Wonderful World of Whampoa.

Hung Hom Jumping Gym Info:
Location
Shop 2B2, 2nd Basement Treasure World
Site 11 Whampoa Garden
Hung Hom

Contact
2362 - 2555

Inside, there are crane machines galore...


There are indoor rides for kids…



There is a massive jungle gym for kids...


And, my favorite part, there are games that you can win tickets from and trade in for prizes…





Tokens can be purchased at the main counter.  If you are not a member, then you can get one token for $2.  Every machine indicates how many tokens that you need to pop in to play.  Each machine also notes how many tickets you can win for scoring so much points.





There are also some carnival games…like coin tossing games, where you can win prizes that are at those stations.  If you win, the attendant gives you coupons to use for prizes (like the photo below)…


After about an hour, we collected about 200 tickets from playing random games and also 120 points for playing a carnival coin toss game…


For all our hard work, we got a snack of dried squid bits, a Tsum Tsum tin of stickers, an empty black mechanical pencil and a pen.


Though the prizes we got were mediocre at BEST, we had such a fabulous time reliving childhood.  I would say this is a great place to have a little date night.  After a nice romantic dinner somewhere in one of the lanes of Hung Hom, it's a nice little walk over to the Wonderful World of Whampoa and down to the Jumping Gym.  It isn't such a crowded place and there are not as many kids as I would have thought there might have been.  It's a great place to have fun with friends, too!