Monday, December 21, 2015

American Groceries in Central

There are a few American grocery stories around the city.  The first one I ever stepped foot into was actually in Tai Mei Tuk, which is over in Tai Po.  It was a small little grocery store that had a bunch of Kirkland brand goods and a ton of junk foods (pop tarts, cereals, and candy bars).

Well, after 6 years or so, I was introduced to another American grocery store on the grander level!  This one is right next to Lang Kwai Fong (of which, I haven't been to in years).  It's called A& M US Groceries and is found in the Manning House Building.



Even before walking into the grocery store, I knew I was going to love it.  It had something so Bartells-esque about it.  Bartells Drugs is one of Washington's neighborhood drug stores, which I love.  There is a bit of everything in here:  from food to seasonal gifts…


Before being told that I couldn't snap shots of the shop, I snapped a few shots of the aisles around the main entrance.  All the lovely, sugary deliciousness of my American dreams could be found packed on the shelves in front of me.

There were cereals of my childhood like Apple Jacks, Cinnamon Toast Crunch, and Lucky Charms!

There were even cereal on the go cups sitting shelves away from those instant oatmeal mixes (you know the ones that have maple flavored packets, apple/cinnamon packets, and original)!

And there were loads of seasonal type things like grills, keurig machines, and even pet supplies in the back!

There is more than just food and seasonal things…there are also loads of baby supplies, bath/body products, kitchen/baking-ware, household cleaning things, toys, etc.

A lot of their products are listed on their website.





I had one of those experiences when I had to go up and down every single aisle and look at every single thing.  I had to read every single label…just to intake my fill of America for the past 6 years.  It definitely made me homesick.

This place was totally great for picking up party foods and especially baking things, which I have been needing a lot of recently.

The coolest thing about this A&M US Groceries is that you can buy things online...

After being awed by the awesomeness of discovering this grocery store…my friend and I stumbled across one of the newest street art exhibits in Central:  "Naked Man."


My father actually send me the article about these guys.  They were created by a UK artist named Antony Gormley.  There are over 30 of these sculptures around the center of Central.  They're high up on buildings…but, one that we could come into close contact with was right next to the Gap.


Before I left Central for the day, I looked up and found one of these naked men on one of the buildings above Queen's Road.

Today was definitely a day of awesome finds!