Monday, June 1, 2015

The Avenue of Stars

I think it's pretty cliche to have dinner and a romantic walk along the waterfront, but it is nice to do cliche once in awhile.  

Over the weekend, my husband and I found ourselves in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) on Granville Road.  We decided on having pizza for the night because it was fast, there were seats, and it was a guaranteed satisfactory meal.

We headed into Paisanos:

12 Granville Road
Tsim Sha Tsui

Open Mondays - Thursdays from 9 am - midnight
Open Fridays - Sundays from 9 am - 1 am



I got the Godfather and my husband got the Classic Paisano's slice.




Paisan's reminds me of the pizza joints that I used to hit up back in college.  Open late, simple, and inexpensive.  For dessert, we walked down Granville Road and headed into Hui Lau Shan Healthy Dessert.

These dessert houses are found all over Hong Kong.  They're my favorite places to go when I want a mango smoothie on a hot summer's day.




We shared a mango, pomelo and sago drink that was delicious!  This place is great because you can either order out or dine in.   I'd definitely suggest taking your order out because these dessert houses get pretty crowded to where people are looming above you…waiting for you to leave!


We meandered through the streets and walked through the 1881 Heritage Building area.  They had a beautiful afternoon tea set displayed in the main courtyard.  One of the benefits of heading down to TST every so often is looking forward to the change of displays at the 1881 Heritage Building.



It was at the 1881 Heritage Building that we started to see laser lights in the buildings above.  Realizing the Symphony of Lights had started, we rushed over to the TST Promenade to catch what we could of the light show.


***Pictures of the Symphony of Lights from the TST Promenade***

You can sort of see how the buildings around Victoria Harbour are lit up in an array of rainbow colors. My camera just can't do night images justice!

Looking out towards Central

Looking over towards Wan Chai


***Pictures of the TST Promenade and Avenue of Stars***



What is the Avenue of Stars?

I think of it as the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Th Avenue of Stars is a strip of the TST Promenade that pays homage to Hong Kong's film industry.  It is also one of the top tourist attractions in the TST area.  Here you can find people walking along the boardwalk taking photos besides the handprints of Jackie Chan or Wong Kar Wai.



A star in honor of Bruce Lee

Jackie Chan's star with his handprints and signature


Jet Li's star with his handprints and signature

Maggie Cheung's star with her handprints and signature

Aaron Kwok's star with his handprints and signature

Leon Lai's star with his handprints and signature

Louis Koo's star with his handprints and signature


I must admit, it is quite fun placing my hands in the handprints of famous Hong Kong actors.  It's also quite fun being apart of the tourist crowd.  Everyone is sharing the same excitement, even if they don't know who these film stars are!

This weekend reminded me just how nice it is to be a tourist in my own city!

***A bit from the Symphony of Lights***