Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Craving Huevo Rancheros

I'm a big lover of all things Tex-Mex.  And I love me some Huevo Rancheros.  I've had a pretty decent one at The Flying Pan and a pretty delicious one at The Eggs & Us in Seattle, but I decided to try and make it on my own.

I looked up some recipes on Youtube and settled on the simplest one.  The recipe I used was off of Hilah Cooking's Youtube channel.  It was pretty basic and seemed like a non-fail type of recipe to me.

So, I went down to my local Taste Supermarket and picked up all my ingredients.

NOTE:  If you are looking for "imported" foods, it's best to go to Great, Fusion, Taste…or the supermarkets that cater to the more Western food products.  Ordering food online through Great is an awesome way to grocery shop.  Spend more than $500 HKD and you can get free shipping/home delivery the same/next day.

List of ingredients:
1.  Some Tortillas
2.  Tomatoes 
3.  An Onion
3.  Refried Beans
4.  Eggs
5.  Butter
6. Cheese
7.  Olive Oil
8.  Salt
9. Black Pepper
10. Minced Garlic
11. Cumin








I only have a hot pot/plate, so I can really only make one huevo ranchero at a time.  Actually, all I needed in the kitchenware department was:

1.   Frying Pan/Hot plate
2.  Spatula
3.  Spoon

NOTE:  I know that my teflon is scratched and it is a possible hazard because shards of the teflon can be ingested…I'm on the hunt for a new hot plate.

The Process of making ONE Huevo Ranchero:
1.  I started by putting my hot plate on high heat.  Then I toasted one tortilla on both sides unit it was crispy.


2.  I then warmed up a spoonful of refried beans.


3.  When the refried beans were warm, I spread them onto my toasted tortillas.


4.  Then I chopped up one tomato, a bit of onion, and prepared my garlic (I love garlic, so I used a lot).


5.  After dropping in some olive oil, I tossed the onions into my hot plate and cooked them until they were translucent.  Then chucked in my tomatoes and garlic.  I let them all simmer together on medium-low heat for about 3 - 4 minutes.


6.  After my tomatoes were pretty soft, I tossed in some salt, black peppers, and cumin.  Then I dropped a dollop of butter into the middle of the whole delicious mix.


7.  Right after dropping in the butter, I cracked an egg right onto the dollop of butter.


8.  Then I covered the entire thing and let my egg cook.   It took my egg about 3 minutes to be the way that I wanted it to be.


9.  I like my egg to be fairly cooked through.


10.  Then I plated my lovely huevo ranchero and sprinkled some cheese over it.


It's a really simple ONE POT type of dish that is easy to make in Hong Kong, when I'm feeling the urge for Mexican food (Tex-Mex) and feel like making it myself.

The shopping process is always fun…

The preparation process is quite quick (just chopping and setting out the ingredients)…

And the cooking process is pretty enjoyable...

The end results is an undeniably mouthwatering piece of deliciousness!