Monday, January 19, 2015

Markets: Tai Kiu Market

Almost every district of Hong Kong has their local market.  In Yuen Long, one of the markets that I love to frequent for my fruits, veggies, flower bouquets, winter thermals, and sewing supplies is the Tai Kiu Market.

The Tai Kiu Market is also connected to the Yuen Long Public Library and Indoor Squash Courts, which makes things a lot more convenient when I'm returning books and having to do some grocery shopping.

Tai Kiu Market Information:
Ground Floor, 2 Kiu Lok Square
Yuen Long
Open from 6am - 8pm


The Tai Kiu Market is host to butchers (where you can get your pork/beef/lamb meats), frozen food stalls (where you can get frozen fishcakes/meats), seafood (where you can get a variety of seafoods), dry goods (like dehydrated or cured meats/fungi/beans/etc), fruit and vegetable stalls, condiment stalls (where you can find relishes/sauces/pastes), fresh cut flower stalls, and the like.

There are also clothing stalls (where you can find basic underwear/thermals/swimsuits), tailors (where you can also pick up fabric/sewing materials/buttons), jewelers (where you can find jade pendants/bracelets/keychains), and more…though I didn't take photos of those today. 

So, there is a good mix of things that are found here.  If I have to look for something, this is the place I'll probably visit first.






Today, I took a trip down to the Tai Kiu Market for my hot pot groceries, which I'll most likely blog about in a few days.  But, there are frozen meats here that are especially for hot pot (pictured below).  This is the most convenient place for me because I can pick up the majority of my groceries in one go.


NOTE:  The produce here is often times more expensive than the local supermarkets, but they seem a lot more fresh.  It's fresh in the sense that the fruits and veggies are not bruised, are incredibly plump looking, and are aesthetically more pleasing than some of the produce in my local supermarket (where I often see bruised apples!).




Below is the section of the market that is dedicated to seafood, which makes me wonder if this is why most of the markets are called "Wet Markets."  But, the ground here is always covered in water, probably from the melting ice the the fish are resting on.





When my friends and family come to visit, we always go down to the open markets or the indoor markets to just check out what the local produce is like.  It's a great place of adventure and mystery for those who aren't used to visiting anything other than the local supermarket.  It's a great chance to share some of the local flare and integrate a little into my community.