Friday, January 16, 2015

Eats Week: Yei Lam Vietnamese Restaurant


It's Friday and I was down in Tsim Sha Tsui (TST) once again, but for lunch instead of dinner.  And, like a few days ago, I had the craving to see what new places I could try out on TST's infamous Hau Fook Street.

We decided on getting some Vietnamese food at Yei Lam Vietnamese Restaurant (椰林越南菜館).

Yei Lam Vietnamese Restaurant Information (椰林越南菜館):
Ground Floor, 2 Hau Fook Street
Tsim Sha Tsui
Tel.  2312 - 0086


How to get there:
1.  From TST MTR Exit B2, you will find yourself on Cameron Road
2.  Walk along Cameron Road in the direction of Carnarvon Road
3.  When you reach the intersection of Cameron Road and Carnarvon Road, turn left onto Carnarvon Road
4.  Hau Fook Steet will be on your right

NOTE:  Etude House (pictured above) is the landmark for where Hau Fook Street begins.


NOTE:  (Pictured above), there has always been this vendor of dried foods that sits at the entrance of Hau Fook Street.  It's another one of my landmarks.

Today, since it was during the daylight time, I thought I would also take a snapshot of what Hau Fook Street is like.  It's a small/short street that is lined with small restaurants.  At the end of the street, there is also a commercial building that houses quite a bit of other cuisines.


Yei Lam Vietnamese Restaurant's shop front looks quite plain.  The thing that caught my eye was actually the menu that was stationed in front of the restaurant.  But, the actual name, in English, is Vietnamse Restaurant (note the typo!)!  If you are looking for this particular place…this is how you'll spot it (pictured below).




We actually dropped in around noon and the restaurant only had a few patrons.  I feel like everyone in TST eats an hour later than my normal schedule.  But, if you want a good place to eat, chat with friends, and is not crowded or pushy, this is a good option.




This may look like any ole Hong Kong canteen because of the plain decor, but don't be fooled with appearances.  The staff are so cordial and seemed to be in good humor when we dropped in.  And, even though the food, actually, ALSO looks quite plain, it was, actually, quite delicious!

I admit, I had my reservations upon seeing the food displayed on our dishes, but my mind quickly turned.  What this place lacked in presentation made up for in taste!

As the theme of the week, we ordered small snack dishes instead of a proper meal.

Vermicelli Noodles with Beef
Sour Lime Soda
Spring Rolls
Crab "Leg"

Overall, this place was another great find and great option to have lunch.  I'm always constantly relieved at finding another great place on Hau Fook Street.  So far, this dining district has never let me down!