Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Studio Ghibli in Shatin

I totally remember Nausicaa Valley of the Winds as being my foray into the world of Studio Ghibli.  Since first seeing that, I have watched almost all of the animated films that came out afterwards.  So, when I heard that the Hong Kong Heritage Museum was featuring the actual layouts and sketches of Takahata and Miyazaki, I jumped at the chance to view it with my own eyes.

The exhibit runs until the end of August.  The easiest way to get to the Hong Kong Heritage Museum:
1.  Get out at Exit A of the Che Kung Temple MTR Station
2.  You'll see a river in front of you
3.  You'll also be able to see the beautiful Hong Kong Heritage Museum across the water
4.  Walk across the footbridge
5.  It's easy to make your way to the museum

Warning:  Lines were long!  There are crowds!

Line to take photos on Totoro's belly (1 hour wait) 


(Notice the Chibi-Totoro!) I loved how the museum really made this an experience 

Glimpse of "The Extraordinary in the Ordinary:  Chairs for Viewing the World through Time" Exhibit 

"The Extraordinary in the Ordinary" exhibit is something I still have to check out.  There is a combined ticket to see both the Studio Ghibli Layout Designs and this exhibit for $30 HKD (standard adult price).  

Studio Ghibli lovers ogling the layouts

Wall of cute makkuro kurosuke!


If you have fond memories of Grave of the Fireflies, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away...Laputa Castle in the Sky, etc, then this will be an awesome exhibit to check out.  The sketches are amazing.  To think they are from the hands of the actual Studio Ghibili animators is awesome!  It is also amazing to see the earlier Studio Ghibli productions, which I had not heard of, but have the motivation to go out and find the films to watch for a weekend movie night.

Seeing the exhibit also put me into the mood of sketching again.  It's such a beautiful art!!!