Sunday, March 2, 2014

Sunday Inspiration on Monday

I was recently inspired to visit two of the most famous religious sites in this town.  As I was walking down Nathan Road from Mong Kok, I just looked to my right as I was approaching the Public Square in Yau Ma Tei and decided to check out the temple.  Afterwards, I carried on my walk down Nathan Road, looked to my left, and decided to check out the church.  It was just one of those days where I found myself curious with a camera.

The Tin Hau Temple stands in the center of Yau Ma Tei's Temple street (Yau Ma Tei MTR Exit C).

Temple entrance

There are beautiful banyan trees sprinkling the area in front of the temple

It is still a functioning temple, so it is best to be mindful of the patrons within

Like the Man Mo Temple on Hong Kong Island, huge rings of incense burn from the ceilings

The smoke was a bit overwhelming when I visited yesterday

Add caption
As I was saying before, I was walking down Nathan Road.  I was meeting my husband down in Tsim Sha Tsui and had some time to kill. My second "inspired" stop was St. Andrew's Church, which is the oldest English speaking church on the Kowloon side.  I got there around 2pm when the Mandarin service was beginning.  But, everyone there was so lovely and let me wander around.  Even though they didn't mind me poking around, I decided to sit and listen to the singing before I took my leave.

It was nice to visit church on a Sunday.

The easiest way to get there is probably by MTR (Jordan station Exit D).

Famous gothic architecture

Beautiful stained glass windows

Beautiful arches and columns 
The praise group practicing 
Have you ever been overly inclined to taking a side trip somewhere along your journey and then finding something inspiring?