Monday, March 24, 2014

Afternoon Tea at JP Cafe

The JP Cafe is the cafe that you find in the Joint Publishing hookshops around Hong Kong.  Joint Publishing, Page One, Dymocks and Metrobooks are a few of the mainstream bookshops that sell English books.  I think I frequent Joint Publishing most because there are two stores in Yuen Long.  One being in Yuen Long Plaza and the other along Castle Peak Road.

This JP Cafe is at the huge Joint Publishing along Castle Peak Road.  It's a nice and quiet place to sit and catch up with friends, but the food and drinks are mediocre.  I feel like the price is also quite comparable to Starbucks.  It was a nice place to check out though.







The coolest thing about the cafe was the barista art!






My friend got a set:  Hot Dog (not very cafe-appropriate!) and a coffee.  I got a cheesecake a la carte and a peppermint tea for $49 HKD.




The Review:
1.  Presentation (2.5 out of 5)  This cafe was so simple.  The cups were white, the chairs were white, the plates were white, the forks were plastic...it was quite basic.  So, I think that simplicity was the goal.  I can't say much about presentation besides it was simple.

2.  Taste (2.5 out of 5)  My peppermint tea was just peppermint tea.  My cheesecake was a little airy and made me wonder if I had gotten a Japanese cheesecake...but I have had better.  

3.  Service (5 out of 5)  The one outstanding thing about this cafe was the service.  The baristas were really nice.  When I asked one of the baristas, "Did you DIY these cups?"  He responded with, "Not this one in particular.  Our other baristas drew these."  He was really cordial.  

4.  Atmosphere (4 out of 5)  The cafe was quiet, simply decorated, and clean.  It was nice.



5.  Return-ability (1 out of 5)   Because the JP Cafe I visited was in Yuen Long, I think I may head in another time...if I was in the need for a snack and a cup of tea.  But, I wouldn't go out of my way to return.